Sunday, November 18, 2012

Original Naked vs Naked 2 Palette.

With the holidays coming up, a lot of people might be interested in asking for one of Urban Decay's Naked Palettes. I know that a lot of people have trouble deciding between the two so I thought that I would give my input on the situation. I typically tell people that the original Naked is better for people with warm skin tones and that the Naked 2 is better for people with cooler skin tones, but I thought that I would elaborate a little bit more.

Here are some photos comparing the packaging of the two palettes: 

 Original Naked:



  

Naked 2 Palette:

 


 And now here's a closer look at the shadows inside the palettes:

Naked 1:

Naked 2:


And now the individual shadows

Naked 1:

From left to right, Virgin, Sin, Naked.
Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck
Sidecar, Buck, Half-Baked
 Half-Baked, Smog, Darker.
Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle.
 Toasted, Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal
 Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal.

Naked 2:
 Foxy, Half-Baked, Bootycall, Chopper.
 Bootycall, Chopper, Tease, Snakebite.
 Chopper. Tease, Snakebite, Prospect. Pistol
 Tease, Snakebite, Suspect, Pistol, Verve
 Pistol, Verve, YDK, Busted
 Verve, YDK, Busted, Blackout.
YDK, Busted, Blackout.

Both of the palettes include the shade Half-Baked.When swatched, they look exactly the same, but for some reason, the Half-Baked in the original Naked looks warmer, and in the Naked 2, it looks cooler, so it's a very versatile shade.

Here are some looks that I did with each palette. I did a more neutral look and a darker, smokier look.

This is the darker of the looks from the original Naked palette. I used Toasted on the lid, Buck in the crease as a blending color,  Hustle as the crease color, Creep as an outer corner color, Sidecar as the inner corner highlight, and Hustle and Creep blended together on the lower lash line.


 
 I used Bobbi Brown's Gel eyeliner in Graphite shimmer ink on the upper lash line and water line. I used Lancome's Hypnose Star Mascara.

 This is the Neutral look from the original Naked palette. I used a mixture of Sin and Virgin on the lid, Buck in the crease, Smog on the outer corner, Virgin as an inner corner highlight, and Buck and smog blended on the lower lash line.
 I used creep eyeshadow and smudged it along my lash line for my eyeliner. I also used Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara.








Naked 2 Palette:

 This is the smokier look from the Naked 2 palette. I used YDK on the lid, Snakebite in the crease, and Blackout in the outer corner. I used Verve as an inner corner highlight and blended YDK, Snakebite and Blackout on the lower lash line. I also used Foxy as a highlight under my eye brow.
 I used Bobbi Brown's Gel Liner in Graphite Shimmer Ink on my upper lash line and water line. I, once again, used Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara.



 This is the neutral look from the Naked 2 palette. I used Suspect on the lid, Snakebite in the crease, Verve as an inner corner hightlight, Suspect blended on the lower lash line, and Foxy as a highlight under my brow.
 I used Buxom's Insider Eyeliner in Chocolate Citrine on my upper lash line. I used Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara again here too.
As you can see, both of these palettes are pretty versatile. The Naked 2 has more taupe and cooler shades and the original Naked has bronze and warmer shades. So which ever is your preference. I also like how the Naked 2 has a matte highlight and a matte black color. The Naked 2 has less selection when you're looking to create a darker look. Because my skin tone is pretty neutral, I find that I reach for both of these palettes about the same amount. I notice that in the original palette, Hustle and Creep are a little dry and can be a little harder to work with. If you have the time, they show up better when they are built up. In the Naked 2 palette, Blackout and Tease are kind of dry and take more building up for the color to show. This may be a good thing depending on how dark you want your black to be. It will be a little harder to make mistakes when trying to darken your look if the black isn't super pigmented.

If you have any more questions, let me know!