Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Largest Post Yet: My Palettes

 This post includes everything shown in this picture. I want to move on to posts about other things besides makeup so I'm starting to group things together and post more than one thing a day. This sits on top of one of my storage containers which I will be showing soon. Included in this post are my makeup palettes, my liquid eyeliners and my BB Cream. (In that white cup I just have some bobby pins so that I don't lose them). I store my palettes in a letter organizer. I believe I got that from Target, Staples or the dollar store. It just has two sections.
 This is the palette on the far right of the picture above. This is a custom magnetic palette that I purchased from Coastal Scents (www.coastalscents.com/). Starting in the top right, the first shadow is MAC's Carbon eyeshadow. This shadow is an amazing matte black shade. Below that is MAC's Swell Baby eyeshadow from the Surf Baby collection (limited edition). This shadow is a shimmery medium-light grey. I took this shadow out of the original pot that MAC eyeshadows come in so that I could put it in this palette. The next shadow is MAC's Humid. I also took this shadow out of it's original packaging, which is why it has a chunk missing. This shade is a forest green with a variety of shimmers. The next, rectangular eyeshadow is Mary Kay's Sweet Plum. This is a deep purple shade with multicolored shimmers. The rectangular shade next to Sweet Plum is Mary Kay's Polished Stone. This shade is a light shimmery silver. Above Polished Stone is Mary Kay's Granite. I love this eyeshadow. It's like a better version of MAC's Satin Taupe. It's more taupe-y and less red, so it tends to be more flattering. Above Granite is a pressed shadow of the limited edition MAC pigment, Jardin Aires. Above Jardin Aires is a random shimmery dark grey that I can't remember where it came from. The large product in the right corner is a depot of MAC's Mineralized Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle.
 This container is right in the center of the overall picture of what this post contains. This container is what my Beauty Blender sponge came in and I just put some beads in the jar to hold the products up. In this container are all of my liquid eyeliners. I have mostly NYX glitter eyeliners. I have NYX blue and purple shades that aren't glittery. I also have the Maybelline Master Precise eyeliner and a Milani Eye Tech eyeliner. I tend not to reach for these very often, as I prefer gel eyeliner.
 Now, to start with all of my palettes. This is the Naked 2 palette by Urban Decay. This palette has a lot of cooler, taupe-y colors in it. There is also a matte black at the end and the third shade in is a matte highlight color similar to Creme Brule from Wet-n-Wild. The fifth shade from the left is a matte taupe color similar to Tough as Taupe Color Tattoo from Maybelline. I love this palette for natural looks. There aren't enough dark colors for a darker smokey eye in my opinion.
 Next is my favorite palette of all time, the original Naked palette by Urban Decay. I am fortunate enough to have a skin tone where both of the Naked palettes look good on me. My favorite shade in this palette is the shade that is fifth from the left, Buck. This is the perfect matte brown shade for my crease. I find that there are enough light colors and dark colors for this to be the only palette to take on a trip. There are a variety of looks that can be done with this palette and the only other eyeshadows you may want to have are a matte black and a matte highlight color. The tones in this palette are more warm, so if your skin color is very cool, this palette may not work for you.
 Another palette is the Urban Decay 15th Anniversary Palette. This palette has lighter neutral shades on the right side, vibrant, colorful shades in the middle, and darker, smokier shades on the right. I love this palette because you can do a natural look with a pop of color just by using one palette. The only color that I find myself never even touching is the second shade from the top in the middle row. I tend to stay away from pink eyeshadow because it makes you look bloodshot and sleepy. I find that there is a good mixture of cool and warm shades. However, the only matte shade is the matte black. Some shades are shimmery and some shades have legit glitter in them. The natural shades also tend to be more bronze than taupe.
 This Stila Eye for Color palette is the first palette that I have ever bought. I like how this palette already has the shades organized so that it's easy for anyone to put together a quick look. There are no matte shades in this palette. This palette is good for anyone who is looking to experiment with color.
 The next palette is the Sleek Storm Palette (Not available in the US). I had to re-press two of the shades because they broke when I dropped this palette. This is a great palette for a smokey eye. It has a lot of dark colors to experiment with. I absolutely love this palette and I wish that it was available in the US because it's only about $10. You could also do a more natural, daytime look with this palette with the help of a few extra colors that aren't included in this palette.
The next palette is the Sleek Au-Natural palette (also not available in the US). I love this palette for an everyday look, as it has so many lighter shades. I find that there aren't really any medium toned shades in this palette though, it goes from light, straight to dark. If you use this palette for a daytime look, it's easy to make it appropriate for night by adding one of the darker colors. There are browns, greens, purples, and a black in the darker colors, which I think is great to experiment with color since these shades look very similar to brown anyway.
 This palette is the only palette that I own that isn't an eyeshadow palette. This is the Coastal Scents 10 Color Blush palette. This palette has a variety of matte and shimmery shades, daring and wearable shades, and a variety of colors. I find that these shades mix very well together to make custom shades. There are shades in this palette to flatter every skin tone. I believe this palette is around $17, so it's a good deal if you're looking to experiment with blushes. There are peaches and corals and a hot pink for the spring and summer, pale pinks, and a plum for the fall/winter and a brown shade that could be used as a bronzer for light skin tones.
 Lastly is my Skin 79 BB Cream. This product is also not available in the US, but I know that it's on Amazon.com. This product is a Japanese product used as a foundation. It comes out grey, but adjusts to your skin tone when it's on your face. This product is good for people with blemishes, or people with dark spots or acne marks because it works with your skin to get rid of them. To me, this product acts like a tinted moisturizer, but you can build up the coverage. I typically use this product in the winter, because that's when I'm the palest and there's only one shade, as Japanese women tend to be fair-skinned.