Tuesday, November 13, 2012

YSL Rouge Volupte-Nude Beige (#1) and Maybelline-Born With it Lipstick Comparison


Today I discovered that two of the lipsticks in my collection are almost exactly the same. One retails for $34 U.S. and the other retails for $7.49 U.S. so obviously, if you can save almost $20 on one lipstick, you're probably going to. So here's the two products that are insanely similar:


 In the pictures to the left, the YSL (Yves Saint Laurent) ROUGE VOLUPTÉ - Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick SPF 15 in the color Nude Beige(or #1), is on the left and the Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Color in the color Born With it, is on the left. You can clearly tell by looking at these pictures that the two colors are extremely similar. The packaging is very different, however. The YSL has nice gold colored packaging with the YSL logo and the color of the lipstick behind the logo. The tube is made out of some sort of metal. The Maybelline has some sort of plastic that's silver colored. They both twist up, but this particular YSL lipstick got stuck so if I twist it up, I have to push it back down. I have two other YSL lipsticks and this isn't the case for those two, so I'm not sure if this is a problem with these lipsticks or not.
The Maybelline lipstick contains .15 oz or 4.2 grams of product and the YSL contains .14 oz and 4 grams of product, so you even get more product with the cheaper lipstick.
With the YSL, it's so pigmented that you have to pat the lipstick on, instead of swiping it like a normal lipstick, so you use a lot less product for an application. With the Maybelline, it's a little bit less pigmented, so you need more swipes to build up the color, but if you're saving over $15, that's worth the effort to me, personally. I really love YSL lipsticks and I have three of them. I also really love Maybelline lipsticks too, I believe I have about 4 or 5 of them. The Maybelline lipstick does have a little bit of shimmer to it, but it's not frosty or glittery. It just gives a pretty sheen on the lips. But since the YSL is so moisturizing, the sheens of both of the lipsticks are very similar.














Here is what both of the lipsticks look like when they are swatched on the back of my hand. In the picture above, the YSL is on the top and the Maybelline is on the bottom. In the picture on the right, the YSL is on the top right corner and the Maybelline is on the bottom left corner. You can clearly see that they are almost exactly alike.


Below, I'm going to show you what the lipsticks look on my lips. Both of these colors are very similar to my natural lip color, but with a little bit more of a pink tint, so it gives me a pretty color and evens out my natural lip color.


 In these pictures, YSL Nude Beige is on top and Maybelline Born With it is on the bottom. There is barely any difference besides the sheen of the Maybelline. If you're really looking to save some money, the sheen won't make any difference. If you usually put a gloss over your lipsticks, this wont even make a difference. Also you can see that the YSL blends into your lip a little bit better than the Maybelline does. I notice that the YSL lasts slightly longer than the Maybelline does, but when you're saving over $15, that shouldn't really make a difference.
In the pictures to the right, the YSL is also on the top and the Maybelline is also on the bottom, I turned the flash on for this picture so that you could see that the sheen of the two lipsticks is pretty similar. You can see that the YSL does give off some sheen, but the Maybelline gives off a little bit more. This is just your personal preference of which your prefer. 
 
It's amazing to me how similar these two shades are. Both of these lipsticks have some pretty high reviews, so if you choose to buy the YSL, I would definitely skip out on the Maybelline, or vice versa. Both of these lipsticks are great for every day wear and you will find yourself reaching for them a lot if you would rather emphasize your eyes than your lips, as I like to do. I highly recommend both of these lipsticks, but if I had to choose between the two, I would choose the YSL. If I didn't already own the YSL, I would choose the Maybelline and then splurge on the YSL if I actually finished the whole tube of the Maybelline lipstick.

Let me know which one is your favorite if you have both of them :) I hope you enjoyed my review!