Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Glitter Ombre Nail Tutorial

I've been posting a lot of glitter ombre nails on instagram lately and I've been getting a lot of questions about how I do it, so I thought I would just do a quick and easy tutorial on it. It's actually a lot simpler than you would think! (Disclaimer: this looks better with less chunky glitter, but as you'll see here, it still works fine). So let's get started!

First: paint your nails with which ever nail color that you want. I used OPI's Here Today Aragon Tomorrow for the dark green and OPI Red for the red (obviously).

To start the first layer of the ombre, I get almost nothing on the brush of the polish. (The polish that I used is Revlon's Sequins). This is about the amount that I usually start with:

 Then, I take this amount of glitter and paint it over almost the entire nail. I leave about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom completely bare. The first layer should look like this when it's done:

As you can see, there isn't very much glitter on the nail. Doing it in steps like this makes the gradient effect look a lot better when you're done. Next, I glob a lot of polish on the brush, like this:

Then, I pat the brush on the top half of my nail to make the middle section of a medium amount of glitter. It should look like this when you're finished:

And finally, the last layer. I also get a ton of polish on the brush, like I did for the second layer. For this layer, I pat the brush along the tips of my nails. Sometimes I have to bring a little bit of the polish down into the middle layer to help make the gradient more gradual and less like three different sections of glitter. Some polishes need a fourth layer at the tips, but I decided not to this time. This is the finished product of my glitter ombre nails:

Good luck with your glitter ombre nails!