Sunday, January 13, 2013

Maybelline Colossal Volume Mascara vs Colossal Cat Eyes Mascara.

Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes Mascara is a relatively new mascara within the last couple of months. If you're like me, you're probably wondering if there's actually a difference between the two. The regular Colossal Volume is my all time favorite mascara, so I picked up the Cat Eyes to see if there was a difference. I used the waterproof versions of both mascaras.

I applied both mascaras to different eyes and saw how they wore during the day. I tested each mascara on both eyes because I have slightly different lash lengths on each eye. I also used the blackest black available for both mascaras.

I found that at first, the cat eyes version seemed to hold the curl of my lashes better than the regular version. But as the day went on, the curl slightly fell so that the two were exactly the same.

Original Colossal Volume Mascara Initial Application

Colossal Cat Eyes Mascara Initial Application

I find that the formula and the final result of these two mascaras are almost exactly the same. The only difference is the brush. I would go for the Cat Eyes version if you like a curved mascara wand and the original version if you don't like a curved wand. Personally I prefer the original version because I find a regular wand easier to work with.

I also find that the original colossal volume gives more of a cat eye effect to my lashes than the cat eye version does. Which defeats the purpose of having the Cat Eye formula.

I also think that the Cat Eye formula gives you more of a spidery look to your lashes, which I'm not personally a fan of. It's also slightly more lengthening and slightly less volumizing. The cat eye mascara is also a little bit more difficult to apply to your bottom eyelashes because of the curved wand.

For my lashes, I like the original version better because it combines the perfect amount of length and volume for my short lashes. I also like the brush better. I've never liked curved mascara wands, so I'm not sure why I even wanted to try the colossal cat eyes mascara.

If you like a curved mascara wand as apposed to a normal wand and length in your mascara as opposed to volume, I would recommend the cat eye version.