Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette First Impression

While I was at Ulta yesterday, I was checking out the Naked Basics Palette just so that I could put swatches up here for you guys. I wasn't very excited with this palette from seeing it online and in other youtube videos. Swatching it in person confirmed that this was not something that I needed to have.


Venus isn't completely matte. It's a white with subtle shimmer. This is the creamiest and most pigmented shade out of them all. It's the most comparable to Virgin from the Naked palette.

Foxy is a yellow toned highlight shade. This is already in the Naked 2 palette.

W.O.S. is a more pink toned version of Foxy. It reminds me of a matte version of Bootycall from the Naked 2 palette.

Naked 2 is a very light cool-toned brown. It's more cool toned than Naked in the original Naked palette.

Faint is a slightly warm medium brown. It looks to be a little bit darker than Buck from the Naked palette.

Crave is a very dark brown. It looks like a black in the pan, but it's definitely brown. It reminds me of a matte version of Darkhorse from the Naked palette. Crave might be slightly darker.

This palette just didn't overwhelm me. There's only so many looks that you can do with this. Naked 2 and Faint are the only shades that could go in the crease and Crave is the only color dark enough to define the outer corner. I think that if you already own the Naked and Naked 2, you can get the same type of look with the matte shades in those palettes. You might have to use a shimmery shade to define the outer corner, or just purchase a separate matte shade. The texture also wasn't very impressive. A lot of the shades were chalky, and you can see the uneven pigmentation in the swatches above.

Overall, I don't think this is necessary if you have Naked and Naked 2, but it's good as a compliment to either of those palettes.

Personally, I'm going to pass on this palette.