Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pinterest Test: Restoring Broken Makeup Items

If you're a pinterest addict like I am, you may have seen this picture from Lauren Conrad's beauty blog:

You're probably wondering if it actually works, so I tested out an eyeshadow and a face powder that I recently cracked.

The face powder that I tried was the Maybelline Dream Matte Powder and the eyeshadow that I tried was from NYX and I believe the shade is Vanilla Sky.

First I mashed up the powder as the picture suggests. The pieces don't have to be super tiny, just make sure there aren't any huge chunks because this will make the next step easier.


For the next step, adding the alcohol, I used rubbing alcohol and added just enough so that it turns into a paste consistency. If it's too wet it will take a really long time to dry.



For the next step, I smoothed out the powder with the back of a pair of tweezers. This doesn't have to be perfect because there's another necessary step after this that the picture tutorial above doesn't show.


I didn't take any pictures of this, but after the powder/rubbing alcohol mixture is dry to the touch, you want to take something that fits right inside the compact and put a piece of fabric in between the powder and whatever you're choosing to press it with. You want to press down on the powder to make sure that it doesn't crumble back up. If you don't do this pressing step, the powder will dry in little pieces and the whole process will have been a waste.

Results: After a couple of days, the Maybelline Powder fell apart but the NYX eyeshadow stayed pressed. I read somewhere that this whole process doesn't work for matte products (products without shimmer). I'm not sure why this happens.

This process did change the consistency of the products to a little bit of a wetter formula. Not quite a cream, not quite a powder. It's like the new L'oreal Infallible shadows.